June 2, 2013

Afternoon Shadows

I slept until 11 AM this morning - after getting up at 7:30 AM to feed the blasted cats.
My little darling Finn has a new habit - dragging one claw down the curtains and making a high pitched "meeeeeeee" sound. This is the game we play: I squirt him with the water bottle, he gallops down the hall, then gallops back and does it again. Sometimes he makes a pit stop on the bed to poke his nose in my face or pat my eye with his paw.
On weekdays when he does it at 4:48 AM, he gets thrown in the bathroom.

Drank coffee while playing Nintendo DS and washing two loads of laundry. I listened to Geet Bazarre, NPR (Splendid Table / Ask Me Another / RadioLab), and Divaville Lounge. I watched the shadows creep across the front yard, up the Kwanzan cherry tree, whose leaves are so bug eaten this year that they look like green lace (not a good thing).

The time from about 3:30 to 5:30 in the afternoon is my favorite time of day. The sting has gone out of the sun's rays, the light soft and dappled. It reminds me of driving home on Highway 17 after spending the day roaming around Georgia in my trusty pick-up Angus Og; the pine tree shadows zebra striping the road next to the railroad track, flickering light/dark/light/dark. I remember that flickering bothered The Boy's eyes.

Oscar and Finn  are prostrate on the guest bed. (my dad always said prostrate cancer instead of prostate), Lillie's waiting to waylay me in the kitchen - I swear that cat has a hollow leg.

Paid a handyman recommended by a friend $40 to pull up the poison ivy. He sprayed some that is growing under the deck, but it hasn't appeared to bother it yet. He also cut down or pulled up some of the stupid mimosa trees that pop up everywhere. I hate those trees. And the volunteer redbud tree that was coming up next to the front step sidewalk. I love me some redbuds with their heart shaped leaves and wish it had come up somewhere else. Like in the back yard near the one that's dying.

While we're on the subject of decks, here's a little tidbit: I much prefer a patio. Not sure why, maybe all the years in California and Florida. A deck's like swimming in the ocean - when I start thinking about all the things that are under there that I can't see, it freaks me out. Plus the upkeep on a patio is so much easier.  No staining, no nails, no splinters.

Almost had a meat free day yesterday, until I discovered the bacon in the microwave; veggie burgers with bacon became dinner. Maybe today; so far so good - veggies with spinach dip.

My friend Fawn is a life coach, focusing on single women (looking for their soul mate). I listened to her latest podcast Friday night and felt like an outlier [again] because I don't want to find a man. Also annoyed because when I close my eyes and try to think about something that I feel passionate about (per her suggestion, because men are attracted to women who are living their passion), I either get nothing or five hundred things. Like furniture styles, I like a bit about almost all of them - modern, contemporary, arts and crafts, rustic, antique. The ex BF was right - I am fickle. And yet, I like rules and consistency - a nesting nomad.

Well, guess that's it for today. Have a good week peeps.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Well, to be precise, it's their values, what makes them come alive, that I'm asking women to explore and honor. And not just to attract a man, it's to BE fully authentically YOU, living life in integrity with who you are and what you value. That brings you joy and fulfillment - and is very attractive to the *right* man.

    Mind if I throw in a few things that "I" see are your values? (I'm going on that being a yes, or else you won't approve this post.)

    LOVE for those who are otherwise sidelined by "mainstream" - i.e. your Bingo night,
    LOVE for your friends, and bringing out their surprising *other* side (or evil twin in my case),
    Discovering and celebrating the unique and eccentric, anything that comes honestly from someone's own creative soul,
    Absolute honest truth,
    Art,
    Music,
    Cleanliness & order,
    to name a few.

    Now I'm sure you're annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty. That is what I would add to this list, since we are making one for you. Also, nature. And also wit. And cats, of course. Honesty. Intelligence. It's too early in the morning to think of more, but I see I know quite a lot about you, given that we have never met in person.

    ReplyDelete