December 29, 2013

The Picts

Pict, (possibly from Latin picti, “painted”), one of an ancient people who lived in what is now eastern and northeastern Scotland, from Caithness to Fife. Their name may refer to their custom of body painting or possibly tattooing.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-truth-about-the-picts-886098.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/articles/kingdom_of_the_picts/

http://halfmoon.tripod.com/

These are my people.

Monday I got a new tattoo from the lovely and talented Kathryn Moore at Dogstar. (That's what Christmas bonuses are for, right?)

The design was based on this obelisk, which we think is Scandinavian as the knot work is much less formal and more free form than Celtic knot work. You can see where it starts and ends, also not the case with Celtic knot work.





















She came up with this:
The stencil is applied.

Just about a week later, it's mostly healed.
The OSD was oddly upset I didn't consult with him; that I hadn't at least commented that I was doing it. Seems saying there will be more was not enough of a warning.

I won't tell you the questions I asked him as qualifiers for having input into what I do with my own body (well okay, one of them was "are you my father?" Another was "do you sign my paycheck?" There was a third, which I will leave to your imagination.).
Kinda funny that an old sailor doesn't have a single tattoo. But then, come to think of it, neither did my father, and he was an old, old sailor.
I informed OSD that I am a Pictish Scandinavian princess and I am having tattoos.

I think I'm done now, but The Boy reminded me that I said that after the Raven tattoo. So...maybe not. 

Consider this your consult, "Mr. Baardsson".





1 comment:

  1. And there's the rascal-face, sealing the deal. Good one, Princess!
    Anon CP

    ReplyDelete